This is another one of my husbands favorite. It was perfect for a very cool day in Ohio. We served it with french bread.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can chicken broth*
- 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- 8 ounces fully cooked kielbasa (Polish sausage), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or coarsely ground pepper (optional)
- In a large pot, melt butter, stir in flour, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Carefully stir in broth.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and kielbasa. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in milk. Heat and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Add the 3 cups cheese and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with more cheese or pepper, if you like. Makes 6 to 8 servings.